Create this cute tapestry crochet beanie with this free pattern!
The tapestry crochet beanie uses the waistcoat stitch to create a knit style look and creates “waves” in the pattern.
The hat is worked from the bottom up and measures approx. 10″ wide at the base of the hat, 9″ tall and 8.5″ across the crown.
Tapestry Crochet Beanie Free Pattern
Get the ad free PDF in my shop HERE.
In my Ravelry store HERE.
- Hook size I, 5.5 mm
- Tapestry needle
- Medium worsted weight yarn (size 4), I used Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Gray Mist, Turquoise and Blue
Optional: Faux fur pom
sc- single crochet
BLO- back loops only
splsc- split stitch single crochet
splsc2tog- split stitch single crochet 2 together
7 sts X 8 rows = 2″ square
Waistcoat Stitch/Split single crochet:
splsc- split single crochet- Instead of doing a sc as normal you will work in the middle of the V part from the previous row and sc, also known as a split single crochet (splsc). This creates a knit style look.
- Each stitch of the hat will use the waistcoat/split single crochet stitch
- When switching colors, carry along the color strand not in use and crochet over it.
- It helps to keep one color to the back and one color to the front when changing colors so you do not get them tangled.
- The chart is worked in the round, there are no slip stitches or chains at each new row. Work continuously, place a stitch marker on every row if you need to.
With gray yarn Ch 7
Row 1: Sc in the 2nd ch from the hk and each ch to end, turn (6).
Rows 2-58: Ch 1, sc in the BLO in each st to end, turn (6).
Sl st ends together to join.
Sc 64 sts evenly around, sl st to join (64).
***You will now be working in the round, place stitch marker here to keep track of rows***
Row 1: Sc in the third loop only around (64).
Follow the chart from right to left or left to right, it is the same pattern around. The white spaces represent the light gray yarn.
After you’ve worked the chart:
Continue with gray yarn.
Next row: *splsc2tog, splsc next 2 sts,* repeat from * around.
Next row: *Splsc2tog, splsc next st,* repeat from * around.
Last row: Splsc2tog around (if it’s too hard to do the splsc2tog with the I hook, you can switch to a smaller hook for this part), sl at in last st. Fasten off leaving a long tail. With blunt needle weave in and out at the top of the hat to secure it closed and fasten off and weave in end on the inside (turn hat inside out).
Weave in all remaining ends.
Optional: Add a faux fur pom on the top.
You’re done! Enjoy your new tapestry crochet beanie!
Like this pattern? Check out my cute tapestry hat and mitten set!