How to set up your crochet blog!
Now that you have started a blog from scratch, let’s set up your blog!
Disclosure: This eBook contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you purchase/sign up through them at no cost to you.
Set up your blog following these steps!
1. Think of a name for your blog (also called domain)
Once you have settled on what you want to blog about, come up with your name. Your name will be your brand so make sure it’s something that will convey what your site is about. Traverse Bay Crochet came about because my site is about crochet and I live in Traverse City, MI. which has beautiful bays and scenery. Think of some names and check to see of they are available on SiteGround (the host I use).
2. Choose a host
There are many different hosting options and I have a tried a few, but SiteGround is by far my favorite! You can start a blog for as little as $3.95 per month and their customer service is amazing! I mean seriously if you have any questions at all you can start a live chat or call them and their super friendly staff will talk to you right away. I’ve rarely ever had to wait more than a min. They even installed my WordPress for me! How awesome is that?
Head over to SiteGround, and get started!
- Ultra fast sites
- Free back ups of your site
- WordPress Installation and support
- 30 day money back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support via phone, live chat and help desk tickets
Let’s recap. The main 2 things you need to start your blog are:
- Domain name
3. Install WordPress
Simply open a chat with SiteGround and ask them to install it for you! So easy!
4. Sign into WordPress
Go to http://www.YOURNEWDOMAIN.com/wp-admin and sign into your new blog!
5. Choose a theme
There are many free themes to choose from. This is a fun part to explore and see the different layouts and features. Look around and see which themes may be right for you! Click around in WordPress and get familiar with what the various buttons do. I suggest if you are unfamiliar with something, just search that topic on YouTube. YouTube is full of WordPress tutorials that are super helpful (I used this a lot!).
6. Upload of photo to your main page
- Take a great picture! People want to know who is behind the magic.
7. Connect Google analytics
- This will help you monitor your search traffic.
8. Set up your e-mail address
- WordPress comes with one. This will help you look more professional. Set that up but when you send out your e-mails I would sign up with a site like Mailchimp (what I use) when you actually send your e-mails out. You will be able to design beautiful e-mails and also be able to enter in your e-mails address so when your subscriber receives an e-mail it will say email@example.com and not firstname.lastname@example.org. Mailchimp is free for your first 1,000 subscribers.
9. Install plugins
- I recommend Yoast SEO and the Pinterest PinIt Button to start. Look through the plugins to see which one’s will help strengthen your blog.
10. Set up your social media pages
- This can include Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkedin.
- Don’t try to do all of them at once. Learn how to master a couple before moving on to more. I would definitely start with Pinterest.
11. Create your content!
Now that you’re all set up you are ready to create content!
Before you launch your post make sure you have:
- 5-6 engaging in depth posts
- 3 of your posts should focus on the following:
- A post about growing your traffic
- A post to help you make money
- A post that grows your e-mail list
For my crochet blog, I could write a new crochet pattern post (grows my traffic), a post about the best tools to use for crochets (makes money) and a e-mail list post offering a free PDF download of a pattern or printable gift tags (grows my e-mail list).
- Clear menu (including about me and contact page)
- Include a easy to understand menu with easy navigation.
- Your about me page will let everyone know who you are and about your blog. Be personable, include photos, it’s totally up to you! It’s a great way for people to get to know you. Also include the reasons you are an authority on your topic
- Include the details of your contact page. How much information you put here is up to you but at least include a contact box for someone to e-mail you.
- Disclosure policy
- The Federal Trade Commission requires that all bloggers disclose when they are getting paid for posts and/or receiving free products they are reviewing. You must include this policy if you are running ads, using affiliate programs or any other type of compensation. Here’s the link to my disclosure policy. You can include this in your contact page.
- Links to your social media pages (create a Facebook page, Instagram, YouTube channel or whatever social media outlets you will be using).
- An e-mail list sign up
- Start this right away to build up your subscriber list.
Awesome! Now the hard work is done and you’re ready to keep pushing out great content!
This is where we start making money….let’s monetize your blog!
Want the complete guide to set up, monetize and boost traffic with your WordPress blog?
My How to Start a Blog 37 page eBook also includes:
12 steps to getting your blog started today + checklist
My personal Pinterest strategy:
- Make great pins
- Boost your page views
- Find Group boards and get on them
6 essential plugins you need to:
- Increase the speed of your site
- Optimize for SEO
- Get more social shares
- Increase Pinterest traffic
How to write great content
- How to write in depth posts
- Tips for top ranking Google posts
How to make money with your blog
- 5 best strategies to make money
How to boost traffic to your blog
- 5 best strategies to get people to your site
- Top 10 resources for FREE stock photos
- 56 catchy headlines for your posts
- Blogging blueprint
Who is this eBook for?
Anyone interested in starting a blog in any niche! This is a quick guide eBook that covers all the essentials of setting up, monetizing and driving traffic to your blog.
Buy my eBook today and always have a quick easy guide at your fingertips!