Create this cute textured crochet toddler vest!
My son Robert loves getting new clothes and asked me to make him something just for him!
Of course I went to work with his favorite color yarn and designed a fun simple vest that is very quick to work up. He was really excited to get it! (check him out modeling below!).
The vest works from the bottom up and in the round for the body. Then the front is worked in 2 small parts and then the back and sewn together at the seams. I tested the pattern out with an I hook (3T size) and J hook (4T) size.
Check the gauge and try changing your hook size if you need a different size. You can also check out my other basic version the vest HERE.
Enjoy the free pattern below:
- Bernat Super Value medium worsted weight yarn (4), about 4 oz. (1 skein)
- Size I (for 3T), J (for 4T) hook
- Darning needle
sc- single crochet
dc- double crochet
hdc- half double crochet
blo- back loops only
fpdc- front post double crochet
bpdc- back post double crochet
sl st- slip stitch
6 sts of “body” pattern measures 2 inches.
Bottom of vest:
Row 1: Hdc in second ch from the hook and each st after (8).
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in blo in each st across (8).
Repeat row 2 until band measures 20″. With ends together sl st through both loops up the side and ch 1. Flip inside out so the outter seam edge is on the inside. This will now be the right side.
Body of vest:
Evenly sc 67 around (they will be tightly close).
***Continue to work in the round, use stitch marker to keep track of rows***
Row 1: Dc in each st around (67).
Row 2: *Fpdc in first st, bpdc in next, repeat from * around (67).
Row 3: *Bpdc in first st, fpdc in next, repeat from * around (67).
Repeat rows 2 and 3, 16 more times, fasten off.
- Now you will be working the front part of the vest. Flip vest over and find the middle stitch of the vest and pull up a loop and continue:
Row 1: Ch 2, hdc in next 14 sts across (14).
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 10 sts, hdc2tog (12).
Row 3: Ch 2, hdc in each sts across (12).
Row 4: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 8 sts, hdc2tog (10).
Row 5: Ch 2, hdc in each st across (10).
Row 6: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 6 sts, hdc2tog (8).
Row 7: Ch 2, hdc in each st across (8).
Row 8: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 4 sts, hdc2tog (6).
Row 9: Ch 2, hdc in each st across (6).
- From the middle stitch count 15 sts over to the right and pull up a loop. Repeat rows 1-9 and fasten off.
Back of vest:
- Turn over and line vest up on the right side where the front right body meets the back and pick up a loop and ch 2. Hdc that stitch and next 29 sts.
Row 1: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 25 sts, hdc2tog (27).
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in each st across (27).
Row 3: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 23 sts, hdc2tog (25).
Row 4: Ch 2, hdc in each st across (25).
Row 5: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 21 sts, hdc2tog (23).
Row 6: Ch 2, hdc in each st across (23).
Row 7: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc next 19 sts, hdc2tog (21).
Row 8: Ch 2,hdc in each st across (21).
Row 9: Ch 2, hdc in next 5 sts (5).
Row 10: Ch 2, hdc in next 5 sts (5) and fasten off.
- Count 5 sts over on the other side and pull up a loop. Repeat rows 9 and 10 and fasten off.
- With wrong sides facing out, sc through both loops across the tops of the shoulders and fasten off.
- With right side facing out, pick up a loop and sc evenly around the V of the vest, sl st to join, ch 1 and sc in the third loop only around the V again. Sl st into first st and fasten off. Repeat with both arm holes. Work over loose ends and weave in the rest.